Motto: Amandla ebunyeni (Power in Unity)
Female Orthopaedic Surgeons in South Africa are still a minority and have challenges in the workplace unique to their gender. We need a society solely for female surgeons to address these challenges and establish protocols. We need to identify barriers to job satisfaction and as well decrease the attrition of women in Orthopaedics.
To improve the training experience of female Orthopaedic surgeons in South Africa.
To promote professional development and career progression of women in Orthopaedics.
To attract junior female medical students and doctors to specialize in Orthopaedics.
Membership: Promote membership to the society among female Orthopaedic medical officers, registrars and consultants.
- Goal 1: Build a member benefits portfolio based on member needs by career stage.
- Goal 2: Establish regional branch leaders to run meetings in each province.
- Goal 3: Networking of members via regional branches – quarterly educational meetings.
- Goal 4: Social media closed network group for national networking.
- Goal 5: Annual luncheon held at annual SAOA congress.
Promotion of Orthopaedics as a speciality amongst female junior doctors and medical students:
- Goal 1: Social evenings with/ contact point for interested medical students to create networking opportunities and build relationships.
- Goal 2: Offer job shadowing and elective clinical rotation opportunities.
- Goal 3: Promotion of the society at medical school open days.
Professional Development and career progression: Provide educational opportunities to enhance members’ careers.
- Goal 1: Establish a mentorship program to improve the experience of female registrars as well as retention of these registrars in the program.
Goal 2: Enhance unity of the community; sharing of ideas and resources.
Goal 3: Create opportunities for career progression.
Goal 2: Access to leadership courses.
Policy writing regarding gender specific issues:
- Goal 1: Protection from Radiation during pregnancy.
- Goal 2: Maternity leave policies.
- Goal 3: Flexible hours/ part-time due to childcare.
- Goal 4: Sexual discrimination awareness.
Research: Support and empower members to participate in and lead research projects.
- Goal 1: Create greater awareness of research opportunities to increase participation.
- Goal 2: Support for surgeons’ doing clinical research.
- Goal 3: Expand the research funding and award opportunities through private sector collaborations and industry partnership as well as donations.
Organizational Excellence: Become and maintain a sustainable society.
- Goal 1: Create a culture of transparency, honesty and integrity.
- Goal 2: Practice Ubuntu to our members (compassion and humanity).
- Goal 3: Secure the Society’s fiscal health.
None of these are possible without:
- Collaboration and networking
- Excellent communication and administration
- Education and career opportunities